The collaborative efforts of over 150 experienced clinical microbiologists, medical laboratory technologists, and laboratory supervisors are included in the third edition of the Clinical Microbiology Procedures Handbook. This well-respected reference continues to serve as the sole major publication providing step-by-step protocols and descriptions that enable clinical microbiologists and laboratory staff personnel to perform all analyses, including appropriate quality control recommendations, from the receipt of the specimen through processing, testing, interpretation, presentation of the final report, and subsequent consultation.
New to the Third Edition
· Presents thorough revision and expansion of most existing sections (Sections 5, 7, and 10 have not been updated))
· Includes several new procedures, including Screening for Vancomycin-Resistant Enterococci, Special Pathogens and Employee Safety, and Avian Influenza
· Incorporates greater emphasis on molecular approaches, bioterrorism, safety, and epidemiology/infection control in medical facilities
· Features division of procedures into preanalytical, analytical, and postanalytical considerations (NCCLS/CLSI format-GP02-5A, 2006), with extensive discussion of each category
· New authors detail updated expertise in performing diagnostic analyses